The use of these substances varies according to:
- The needs of the patient (his/her constitution)
The ailment ( the imbalance in the doshas)
- The type of massage recommended
- A Massage should preferably be done in the early hours of the morning, when the stomach is empty. It can also be administered in the evening, 3-4 hours after lunch. However, it should never be done immediately after a meal
- The massage room should be warm and cozy. Massage can be done either on the massage table, which is about the height of one's waist, or it can be on the floor.
- The table should be properly covered with clean white cloth, so that the patient is comfortable during the massage. For other procedures like head massage and oil drip on the head, a special type of table should be used which facilitates recovery of the massage oil from the body of the patient.
- The masseur should be healthy. He should not be suffering from any contagious skin disease and should cut all his nails properly so that during massage they will not harm the patient.
- The oil to be used for massage should be cold during summer and warm during winter.