The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for your recovery:
- Have your injury treated and monitored by a doctor and/or physical therapist.
- Just after injury, use ice/heat therapy as prescribed. Treatment may also involve a brace or cast.
- If possible, continue overall body conditioning, but be careful not to aggravate your injury.
Join a rehabilitation program to help your body recover.
- Keep a positive attitude.
- When you are able to practice without difficulty, and your doctor has determined that the likelihood of re-injury is low, you are ready to return to play.