Tuesday, November 02, 2010

The Health Dangers of Phenols Found in Common Household Cleaners

Did you know that the cleaners you use to disinfect your home, seemingly to keep yourself and your family safe from germs and bacteria, could be harboring a danger of their own? Many common disinfectants out there contain phenols-caustic, poisonous and dangerous compounds that are used to cover smells. And they're used in everything from all-purpose cleaning sprays to toilet bowl cleaners.

According to the National Institutes of Health, phenol is toxic and people who are hypersensitive to it could experience death or serious side effects at very low exposures. Plus, it is rapidly absorbed and can cause toxicity throughout the entire body. Typically, death and severe toxicity result from phenol's effects on the central nervous system, heart, blood vessels, lungs and kidneys.

Many common household disinfectants contain phenols-caustic and dangerous compounds that could be harming your family's health.

Other symptoms of exposure include:

Pulmonary distress
Phenolic breath
Scanty/dark urine
Severe burns and numbness if exposed to the skin

Further studies have shown that these compounds can cause:

Body cleanse, Cleansing the body, Cleanse your body

No comments: