But within weeks -- and even hours -- after quitting smoking, your body has already shown health improvements.
The Canadian non-profit organization Tobacco Facts lists some of the immediate health benefits when you quit smoking:
- Within eight hours, the level of carbon monoxide in the body drops, while oxygen levels rise to normal.
- After two days, taste and smell is enhanced, and the risk of heart attack decreases.
- Breathing becomes easier within three or four days, because of increased lung capacity.
- After two weeks, no nicotine is left in the body, and blood flow is improved.
- Within three months, circulation and lung function are improved, and physical activity is significantly easier.
- Within nine months, coughing, congestion, fatigue and shortness of breath are significantly reduced.