While you should avoid strenuous activity, light exercise can offer many benefits during pregnancy.
The Nemours Foundation offers this partial list:
- Feeling better, having more energy, and getting better sleep at night.
- Reduced back pain and improved posture from stronger back, thigh and buttock muscles.
- Reduced stress and anxiety.
- Reduced risk of constipation.
- Less weight gain during pregnancy, and a quicker return to your pre-pregnancy weight.
Your body should tell you if it's had enough. Stop exercising immediately if you have any of the following symptoms:
- Heart palpitations.
- Shortness of breath.
- Pain in your back or pelvis.