Nonetheless, there are warning signs of child abuse that a teacher, neighbor parent, caretaker, or friend can observe.
The Child Welfare Information Gateway offers this list of possible symptoms:
- Sudden behavior changes or changes in the quality of school work.
- Difficulty concentrating that cannot be attributed to other factors.
- Unattended medical needs that have been brought to a caretaker's attention.
- Acting withdrawn or generally disinterested.
- Feelings or facial expressions suggesting that something bad is always about to happen.
- Avoiding the home or abuser, and arriving early and staying late for activities.