To help protect yourself on the ice, follow these suggestions from Safe Kids USA:
- Never skate without a helmet, especially if playing hockey.
- Wear protective knee and elbow pads, mouth guards, and shin guards if playing hockey.
- Never skate on ice that hasn't been approved by local authorities. Only skate on public lakes or rinks that are determined safe for skating.
- Learn how to protect yourself in case the ice does break.
- If you fall through into the water, stretch your arms out to your sides, kick, and try to crawl back onto the ice while shouting for help.