An outbreak can be triggered by weather, stress or use of certain products, including detergents.
Here are suggested ways to prevent an outbreak, courtesy of the Princeton University Health Services:
- Apply lotion immediately after getting out of the shower to keep your skin well-moisturized.
- Don't take very long baths or showers, and avoid using very hot water that can dry skin.
- Don't use harsh soaps or detergents that can irritate the skin.
- Try to avoid becoming overheated or very sweaty.
- Try to avoid becoming stressed.
- Keep skin well covered during winter.
- Try not to wear itchy fabrics made of wool or some synthetic fibers.