Saturday, July 29, 2006

Health Tip: Recognize Anaphylactic Shock

(HealthDay News) -- Anaphylactic shock occurs when a person has ingested or come in contact with a substance to which they are severely allergic. The reaction can be life-threatening.
The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network says people with food allergies -- especially shellfish, peanuts and other nuts -- are at especially high risk of anaphylactic shock, particularly if they have had a previous reaction.

Symptoms typically include a feeling of itchiness or tingling; metallic taste in the mouth; hives; difficulty breathing; swollen mouth or throat; vomiting; diarrhea; or unconsciousness.
Symptoms should be recognized quickly. A shot of epinephrine is typically administered to counter the reaction.

Last reviewed: 07/28/2006 Last updated: 07/28/2006

No comments: